juan

Which is the size and material of rivets to add/replace clamcleats to the mast?

I need to replace a clamcleat, which is the size „L“ needed of the rivets. How wide is the mast section more or less where clamcleats are fixed?
Also, which is the best material Aluminium or stell to avoid corrosion?
Thanks in advance

• andreashenke

Re: Which is the size and material of rivets to add/replace clamcleats to the mast?

• 15/10/2022

Hallo Juan,

wenn du die Profildicke des Mastes meinst, beträgt diese 3 mm. Sieh dir aber den Querschnitt richtig an, weil der Mast innen eine offenes Vierkantprofil zur Verstärkung und für die Steckverbindungen besitzt, damit deine Niete wirklich im Hohlraum sitzen.

Und achte darauf, dass die Clancleats nicht in einer Flucht übereinander stehen, dass ist sehr unpraktisch.

Viele Grüße Andreas

• juan

Re: Which is the size and material of rivets to add/replace clamcleats to the mast?

• 17/10/2022

thanks @andreashenke and @KP.Riemer.

Material is clear, Monel if found and if not stainless steel.
        Now my pending is the L, the lenght to cover the mast and the cleamclat hole, I had ones of 6mm of L /and 4.8 diameter) but perhaps the L us too short.

• KP.Riemer

• 18/10/2022

Hi again, as Andreas already explained the length depends on where the cleat is placed. The mast is not only a tube but has a square profile inside. Where the square profile touches the tube a rivet can be shorter, where the distance between tube and square profile is greater you need a longer one. 6mm is in any case to short because the clamcleat itself is some mm strong. I also attached a cleat to my mast (for a booster sail) but do not remember what length I used. But I have some 19mm and 23mm rivets in my „boat tools box“ left, so probably either one of them was used …

• juan

• 18/10/2022

Thanks KP.
          It is to replace the jib cleat, in the same position in the mast if possible.
          When you talk about 19mm rivet is what in the scheme attached of rivet is L?

Attachments:
          Sie müssen angemeldet sein , um angehängte Dateien anzuzeigen.
        • KP.Riemer

• 23/10/2022

Hi Juan, yes 19mm is „L“. Just had a look at my mast: If you use the same position as the existing cleat there is no interference by the profile inside the mast. I measured the cleat, it is about 4mm, my NEO mast has 2mm. So you need to stick 6mm. You should add at least diameter of the rivet (which should be 4.8mm) resulting in an „L“ of >11mm.

• KP.Riemer

• 15/10/2022

Hi Juan, regarding the rivets: Aluminium is not that strong and I won’t use it. However, I’m no materials scientist… ;-). I try to use Monel (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monel) as it is stronger and there is no risk of contact corrosion. Stainless Steel can lead to contact corrosion with Aluminium in some cases over longer time (probably irrelevant for our kind of boats). So, if you find Monel rivets – perfect. If not use stainless Steel, will work also…

• andreashenke

• 23/10/2022

Hallo Juan,

sorry, ich habe lange nicht in die Community gesehen.
      Bei den Clamcleats brauchst du bestimmt eine Länge der Blindnieten von 8 mm, eher wohl 10mm.
      Dicke des Mastprofils (3mm) + Clamcleat + 3-4 mm Reserve.
      Verwende besser Nieten aus Edelstahl.